2017 Grassoots Lobby Day “Equity: Bridging the Gaps” was Sunday, March 19 and Monday, March 20, 2017 in Carson City.
During each Nevada legislative session since 1991, hundreds of individuals from across Nevada have gathered in Carson City for two days of training, networking, lobbying, discussion, and inspiration. Participants learn the ins and outs of being a grassroots lobbyist so they can successfully raise their voices on behalf of Nevada’s women and children.
Sponsored by the Nevada Women’s Lobby in conjunction with our partners, each Grassroots Lobby Days (GLD) includes the opportunity to unite with like-minded people, gain in-depth insights on timely issues, and meet with their legislators.
Grassroots Lobby Days 2017: The Details
When & Where:
Day 1 (Sunday, March 19) will be held at the Carson City Plaza Conference Center (behind the hotel), 801 S. Carson St., Carson City
8 to 8:45am: check-in and breakfast
Day 2 (Monday, March 20) is at the Legislative Building, Room 3100, between 5th and Musser on N. Carson Street, Carson City
7 to 7:45am: check-in and breakfast
7:45am: Overview of committee hearings & appointments with legislators
Carson City Plaza Hotel & Conference Center, 801 S. Carson St., Carson City, (775) 883-9500. Room rates $69. (Reserve by Feb 27, 2017 – ask for Nevada Women’s Lobby block)
You can still register for Grassroots Lobby Days, but please note that the last day to register for MEALS for Grassroots Lobby Days was Sunday, March 5. If you have not already reserved meals, please plan on bringing your own or eating out during meal times.
Registration is now closed - we are at max capacity.
|DAY ONE: Sunday, March 19||DAY TWO: Monday, March 20|
|- Learn about the lobbying process|
- Network with other GLD attendees from across Nevada
- Increase awareness about issues impacting Nevada's women and families
- Hear from experts on a variety of topics
- Enjoy networking and hear a great speaker at the dinner program
|Put your newly-gained skills to work at the legislature:
- Attend committee hearings
- Meet with your legislators in their office or talk with them when they stop by for lunch
GLD Participants will:
- Learn the Nevada legislative process and how to influence it
- Learn about current Nevada issues affecting Nevada’s women and families
- Meet other Nevadans with similar concerns
- Meet your Nevada senators and assemblypersons
- Attend legislative committee hearings and floor sessions
- Influence your legislators
2. When you hear about a good vote, statement or action on your issues, send a quick thank you (and also contact them on bad votes).
3. When you make contact, be sure to leave your name and address; some will respond. The more personal your contact, the more weight it will usually carry on controversial issues.
4. Messages and letters are tallied as an index of public opinion. Don’t let your voice be left out.
5. Visit personally, making an appointment to discuss your issues; bring others who feel the same and include constituents. Be prepared by setting meeting goals and priorities, having all the needed facts at hand, and bringing some information to leave with them. If you don’t have an answer, say that you will find out and get back to them. Your meeting can be at their legislative office or you can arrange a visit when they come home.